l = range(int(1E9))

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 2 22:16:04 EDT 2015

On 03/05/2015 03:07, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 05/02/2015 04:33 PM, BartC wrote:
>> OK, so it's just an irritation then, as a workaround has been available
>> for a long time. (For example, if you use xrange, it won't work on 3.x.
>> If you use range, then it might be inefficient on 2.x.)
>
> In both Python 2.7 and 3.3+, you can use the 3rd-party six module to
> help with forward compatibility:
>
> from six.moves import xrange
>
> In Python 2.7, it's just the normal xrange (importing is a no op
> basically), but in Python 3 it points to range.
>
> Kind of wish parts of six were in the Python standard library.

Links to other useful third party modules are given here
https://docs.python.org/3/howto/pyporting.html

I doubt that six will ever make the standard library as 2.7 only has
another five years in official support.  By that time I suppose we'll to
going through the porting pain all over again with the transition from
Python 3 to Python 4.  Alright, alright, only joking :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence