l = range(int(1E9))

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Fri May 1 07:15:29 EDT 2015

Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> By the way: I also see python3.4 and python3.4m. Any idea where the m
> stands for?

I googled for “python3.4m” and found as second result

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16675865/difference-between-python3-and-python3m-executibles>

In a nutshell: python3.4m was built with configure option “--with-pymalloc”
which causes the resulting implementation to use “Pymalloc, a specialized
object allocator written by Vladimir Marangozov, […] a feature added to
Python 2.1. Pymalloc is intended to be faster than the system malloc() and
to have less memory overhead for allocation patterns typical of Python
programs. The allocator uses C's malloc() function to get large pools of
memory and then fulfills smaller memory requests from these pools.”

See also: <https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/32402> (first result)

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2