TCP sockets python timeout public IP adresss

bobbydeep anudeepsm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 04:57:40 EDT 2015

I am trying to communicate between a server and client using TCP sockets.

Server code:

import socket
import sys

    # Create a TCP/IP socket
    sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    # Bind the socket to the port
    server_address = ('my-server-ipadress', 1999)
    print >>sys.stderr, 'starting up on %s port %s' % server_address
    sock.bind(server_address)
    sock.listen(1)
     try:
            print >>sys.stderr, 'connection from', client_address

            # Receive the data in small chunks and retransmit it
            while True:
                data = connection.recv(16)
                print >>sys.stderr, 'received "%s"' % data
                if data:
                    print >>sys.stderr, 'sending data back to the client'
                    connection.sendall(data)
                else:
                    print >>sys.stderr, 'no more data from', client_address
                    break

        finally:
            # Clean up the connection
            connection.close()

Client code:

    from socket import *

    clientsocket = socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM)

    clientsocket.connect(("my-server-ip-address",1999))

    recv = clientsocket.recv(1024)

    print(recv)

It is working fine on a local connection. The problem I am facing is when I run the client code on my laptop (using my home wifi network)and try to communicate with the remote server, it is not able connect to the server. What could be the problem ? Any changes in the code required, or do I need to disable firewall on my laptop ?

The error I get is, error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond