Run two processes in parallel

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Sun Mar 29 04:11:47 EDT 2015

Hi,

I'd like to run two processes concurrently (either through a builtin
module or a third-party). One is a "background" task and the other is
displaying a spinner (for which I already found good packages).

The two processes do not have to communicate with each other; only
the second should be able to know when the first has terminated. To
make it clear, this is the pseudo-code:

```
import time, PARALLEL, spinner
process1 = PARALLEL.start(time.sleep(60))

while process1.isrunning
    spinner.update()
    time.sleep(1)

print('done')
```

>From what I see, Python modules threading and multiprocessing seem
either not suited for that or to be too complicated (though I don't
have any experience with these and could be wrong). A search on PyPi
for parallel, background, and concurrent found too many.

What would you do? Which technique or module would you suggest?

Thorsten