Supply condition in function call

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 22:21:48 EDT 2015

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 7:26:54 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Rustom Mody  wrote:
> > On a more specific note, its the 1st line:
> >
> > class filter(object)
> >
> > which knocks me off.
> > If a more restricted type from the ABC was shown which exactly captures all
> > the iterator-specific stuff like __iter__, __next__ it would sure help (me)
>
> But there's no point in subclassing for everything. In this case,
> filter doesn't subclass anything but object, so there's no value in
> stating anything else. You want to know if it's iterable? Check for an
> __iter__ method. Etcetera.

Well maybe... I dont the ABC thing very well in python.
[It does seem to be underutilized]

Anyway my point is that in python (after 2.2??) saying something is an object
is a bit of a tautology -- ie verbiage without information.

Note: We are not talking of the *fact* that something -- in this case filter --
subclasses object, but the output of help(filter)