fibonacci series what Iam is missing ?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 16:14:50 EDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>> [1] Cue the demonstration of a worse version from someone's student?
>>

> I'll give you a worse version.  Back in the day I had occasion to write a
> simple program in a language which had no add or subtract.  It could only
> increment and decrement indices.  So to simulate that:
>

> #without using any arithmetic other than increment and decrement
> def fib3(n):
>     if n == 0:
>         return 0
>     elif n == 1:
>         return 1
>     else:
>         a = fib3(n-1)
>         n = n-1
>         b = fib3(n-1)
>         while b > 0: a,b = a+1, b-1
>         return a

Function calls? Comparison with numbers other than 0? These are
luxuries, I say! Here's a version that does without:

http://progopedia.com/example/fibonacci/14/

(Note that most of that program is concerned with formatting the
numbers into ASCII for output; the iterative Fibonacci calculation is
just the last part of the loop.)