Statically linking part of a C extension module?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 13:36:05 EDT 2015

Hi folks.

I want to build a pair of wheels - one for numpy, one for scipy.  And
I want to statically link atlas (with blas and lapack) into these
wheels.  I don't want to statically link numpy or scipy into the
Python interpreter.

The goal is to decrease the frequency with which new wheels need to be
built as the OS changes (RHEL 6.6), and to avoid having to deploy
rpm's - we want to only deploy wheels if possible.

How practical is this?

I have some guesses how to do it (passing in $CFLAGS, $LDFLAGS and $CC
perhaps), but if there's a better way I'd love to know about it.

Thanks!