Deep comparison of dicts - cmp() versus ==?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 09:46:06 EDT 2015

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 12:06:00 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2015 14:47, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > Not too many people are interested in float independent of ℝ except
> > perhaps hardware designers who need to design respecting the IEEE
> > standard.
>
> I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

The reason for creating float (IEEE or previous hacks) is that people want to do
ℝ-ish stuff.
The only justification for float is that it is consistent with ℝ
[Is it? Aint it? Depends on how you squint]¹
Nobody wants to do float for the sake of float.
The only parties that (presumably) want to do "pure" float (ie ignore ℝ completely)
are the h/w-guys who need to get an "IEEE-compliant" stamp.

¹ Even the IEEE standard writers need to do a tight-rope walk between
- respecting ℝ
- making a spec that is 'hardware-able"
- And will not have us software-guys screaming

Ie There is no one (I can think of) except hw engineers who would care to think
float without minding ℝ.