A simple single line, triple-quoted comment is giving syntax error. Why?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Mar 18 17:47:40 EDT 2015

On 3/18/2015 3:53 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> I must strongly object and recommend against getting accustomed to the
> suggested use of multi-line string literals.

I agree.

> If you want to comment your code, then by all means do so using docstrings
> and *real* comments.  IDEs like PyDev support you there.

For instance, with Idle, before (with red comment coloring):

# this is
# a very very very ragged ragged ragged ragged ragged ragged ragged
# multiline comment
# that I will reformat
# with Idle's Format Paragraph (default key binding alt-Q, but this may
be reset by the user as long as the user is careful to not resuse
another key.

after alt-q anywhere in the comment block, with default 72 char lines

--
Terry Jan Reedy