Brilliant or insane code?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Mar 18 11:28:00 EDT 2015

On 18/03/2015 00:35, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> I've just come across this http://www.stavros.io/posts/brilliant-or-insane-code/
> as a result of this http://bugs.python.org/issue23695
>
> Any and all opinions welcomed, I'm chickening out and sitting firmly on the fence.

There was a long thread on an inverse problem (2d only interleave separate lists
of x & y coordinates) in clp some while ago

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.python/ODqrLDRn61k

the winner at that time was was Peter Otten with

> def flatten7(x,y):
> 	 '''Peter Otten special case equal lengths'''
> 	 n = len(x)
> 	 assert len(y) == n
> 	 result = [None] * (2*n)
> 	 result[::2] = x
> 	 result[1::2] = y
> 	 return result

interestingly whilst many of the other solutions can be improved/modernized in
later pythons this one has stayed the same.
--
Robin Becker