Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 21:02:53 EDT 2015

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 04:36:01 +0000, Mark Lawrence
<breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Of course we could avoid all of these problems if we were to bring back
>the mainframe or mini and the dumb terminal.
>
>Take cover, incoming :)

No kidding. Installing only the software you coded (or from source)
may be a little too much for today's complex software. But life was
good!

I started my carrer next to an IBM ES900. Not coding, mind you. Doing
nightly backups, from 8:00 pm to 4:30 am. That's how we started our
programming careers back in the 80s; through pain and suffering.

Next to me was also an old VAX with its insane batch programming
language and the company (Alcatel) had just bought two brand new
AS/400 which were the first two come up with a sort of graphical
interface API not unlike curses.

Of the three systems, only the AS/400 allowed for the installation of
pr-compiled binaries, if memory serves me right. During the first 6
months, nothing that wasn't IBM made ever installed...