Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Mar 16 23:42:42 EDT 2015

Mario Figueiredo <marfig at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 09:02:38 +1100, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >Imagine you need a PostgreSQL database for your Python application -
> >which also means you need psycopg2, of course. How do you go about
> >writing installation instructions?
> >
> >* WINDOWS *
> >1) Install the latest Python 3 from https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/
> >2) Install the appropriate version of psycopg2 from
> >http://www.stickpeople.com/projects/python/win-psycopg/
> >3) Install the latest PostgreSQL from
> >http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/
> >4) Install my program from blah blah blah
> >

> Are you saying this is a problem for any developer?

Yes. They need to write installation instructions, and the more complex
those instructions are the fewer prospective users will bother.

The more complexities in the installation process, the more
opportunities there are for the recipient to make a mistake. Each
mistake is demoralising and will cause some proportion of people to give
up.

So if the installation process *necessitates* complex instructions,
that's a problem for the developer.

You can blame “lazy users” if you want to. That gets you no new users of
your program though.

--
 \      “I tell you the truth: some standing here will not taste death |
  `\    before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” —Jesus, |