[OT] Weaknesses of distro package managers - was Re: Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 23:17:37 EDT 2015

On 17/03/2015 03:05, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 03/16/2015 09:01 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>> Reading this makes me realise how lucky I am not having to worry about
>> such issues.
>
> How so?

I don't work due to ill health.  I use Python at home on Windows purely
for my own needs which pip now covers, particularly given the relatively
recent introduction of wheel files.  For anything else download the msi
or exe file and click to install.  Seems like utopia compared to the
real world that the rest of you have to live and work in.  Sure I have
to do some research first and maybe make mistakes, but I do have the
luxury of time, no boss and no stupid deadlines set by some dumbo sales
person, sorry, account manager :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence