Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 23:04:26 EDT 2015

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 09:02:38 +1100, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Imagine you need a
>PostgreSQL database for your Python application - which also means you
>need psycopg2, of course. How do you go about writing installation
>instructions?
>
>* WINDOWS *
>1) Install the latest Python 3 from https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/
>2) Install the appropriate version of psycopg2 from
>http://www.stickpeople.com/projects/python/win-psycopg/
>3) Install the latest PostgreSQL from
>http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/
>4) Install my program from blah blah blah

Are you saying this is a problem for any developer? Especially
considering this is a one-time operation...

Or maybe you mean lazy developers. But lazy developers are an edge
case not worth being catered for.

>Without actually going to any effort to build your own packages, you
>can still take advantage of one-command installation of all your
>dependencies. Without a package manager, you have to assemble them
>from all over the internet.

With the advantage of storing them on a portable pen to install
somewhere else offline... But hey, that isn't good, right?

Anyways, on the specific case of Python packages, you are of course
wrong. First it was easy_install, now you have pip.

You also have chocolatey, nuget, ninite, npackd, etc. It's not that
you don't have package manager-like options in windows. It's just
that, like with linux unofficial, unsupported, edge, etc repos, you
rarely want to put your faith on a anonymous package developer or on a
bleeding edge package.