Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 09:29:54 EDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> Of course, "problem" seems to be relative. PHP culture seems to accept that
> code will break when you do a minor upgrade, and it's no big deal to do a
> search-and-replace and rename your functions. The same thing would be
> considered unacceptable in Python and unthinkable in C.

Because, after all, it's no problem to keep a dozen PHP versions
around, and to select which one you want via a shebang at the top of
the file... oh wait. So how do you cope with breakage? Massive code
churn? What about those big PHP applications/engines/frameworks like
MediaWiki, WordPress, etc - do they maintain multiple versions that
are compatible with different PHP versions??

No, don't answer any of those questions. We don't need to discuss this
in detail. *sigh*

ChrisA