Code hosting providers

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 20:48:36 EDT 2015

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 19:38:09 -0400, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
wrote:

>Running your own server is a piece of cake, and if I, at 80 yo, can do
>it, I don't see a single reason you can't do likewise.  The code I
>write, for what is called a legacy computer, is just one of the things I
>share at the link in my sig.  That link is actually _this_ machine.

That's taking things too far. And when people speak of hosting your
own server, they don't necessarily mean hosting in your home computer.
Speaking for myself, I refuse to collaborate on any project that is
hosted on some dude's personal computer. The uptime can never match
that of a data center and and if you decide to stream some movies
while torrenting the latest linux distro, I'm basically screwed.

If you are the sole developer of your project, why not. But if that is
the case, I'd say most project managers are just overkill and the
choice of what to choose shouldn't even be considered. Just grab your
VCS of choice. Issue tracking can be safely managed in your code with
TODO and FIXME. If by any chance you need to work on more than one
computer, don't bloody open your ports at home. Just get an usb pen
and make a bare repo in there from where you can push/pull.

The ability to host your own server means:

    1. Your code hosting provider doesn't lock you in. You can take
       your *full* repository history and host it yourself somewhere
       else outside their domain.
    2. You will want to host this ASAP on some web hosting provider.