Code hosting providers

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Fri Mar 13 17:13:41 EDT 2015

> In the meantime, I get zero-dollar hosting of my repos, including zip
> download and such ...  You're welcome to shun them. There is
> definitely benefit to encouraging a multiplicity of hosting
> services. But I'm not bothered by the GitHub non-free-ness, because I
> take a less philosophical and more pragmatic view of things.

But you're making the problem worse for other people too.  For example,
I can't file a bug against your code or send you a pull request, without
enrolling in Github myself.

You can get a whole virtual server from Amazon for free that is
perfectly good for hosting git repos and lots of other things too, or
you can get them for a few dollars a year in other places if you don't
want to deal with Amazon.  Github adds some conveniences but I've never
understood the attraction and mystique around it.