Code hosting providers

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 04:33:56 EDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Thanks for that informative post: I've been uncomfortable with the reach
> of Github and you've done a good job explaining the reasons.
>
> I personally use self-hosted git repositories on cheap VPS servers which
> is easy to do, but doesn't supply issue tracking.  I know various
> projects that use either Trac or Bugzilla but I haven't tried operating
> those.

It's worth noting, by the way, that sometimes it's worth using a
non-federated service. I host most of my projects on GitHub, because
the git repo is the part that's most important to me. I don't heavily
use the bug tracker attached to any of those projects, nor the
gh-pages branch, etc, etc. If ever I need to move off GitHub, the loss
of my tracker history is almost entirely non-significant. But if
someone goes looking at my repo there, and wants to raise an issue,
I'm quite happy to have that come through the tracker - which means
that, technically, I am using that non-federated service. It's not
something to fear, just something to be aware of.

With the example of moving emails around, the hard part usually isn't
SMTP and co, but moving your email history. Can you download all your
emails in a convenient format for unloading into your new host, or do
you get a proprietary .PST file that you have to somehow deal with?
I'm not speaking from any sort of experience here, of course. It's not
like I've had to deal with several people who decided not to move to
an open system because it would be too hard to move their data. No, of
course not. That never happens.

ChrisA