Did https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ became huge and slow?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 08:27:59 EDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:16 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> Chris Angelico wrote:
>
> [...]
>>> You're downloading via https, which has more overhead than http. There's
>>> a certificate that needs to be checked, the content can't be cached, and
>>> there's the cost of encryption.
>>
>> Those costs don't factor in here; the content-length is what the
>> server announces as the number of bytes of oncoming payload.
>
> I'm talking about the time taken to download, not the size. Downloading 9MB
> of encrypted data over https will be slower than downloading 9MB from a
> local cache over http :-)

Ah, sure. Especially the bit about the cache :) Though I usually find
that download times on https vs http aren't all that different; it
takes a little bit longer to establish the connection, but less than
the variation in DNS timing. Most of the time, the cost of encryption
isn't the bottleneck - on a large download, transfer throughput is
usually what takes the time, and on a small download, it's too hard to
measure the cost anyway.

ChrisA