Newbie question about text encoding

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 03:23:53 EDT 2015

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 4:39:48 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Rustom Mody wrote:
> > This includes not just bug-prone-system code such as Java and Windows but
> > seemingly working code such as python 3.
>
> What Unicode bugs do you think Python 3.3 and above have?

Literal/Legalistic answer:
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2012-2135

[And already quoted at
http://blog.languager.org/2015/03/whimsical-unicode.html
]

An answer more in the spirit of what I am trying to say:
Idle3, Roy's example and in general all systems that are
python-centric but use components outside of python that are unicode-broken

IOW I would expect people (at least people with good faith) reading my

> bug-prone-system code...seemingly working code such as python 3...

to interpret that NOT as

"python 3 is seemingly working but actually broken"

But as

"Apps made with working system code (eg python3) can end up being broken
because of other non-working system code - eg mysql, java, javascript, windows-shell, and ultimately windows, linux"