Python Worst Practices

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 10:11:46 EST 2015

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 21:09:24 +1100, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
wrote:

>there was a time (maybe times, I don't remember) when
>Microsoft tried hard to require "managed code" everywhere (aka ".NET
>runtime only"), and the push-back was so strong that they had to
>abandon the requirement. But somehow, people accept rules about phone
>apps that they wouldn't accept about desktop apps... crazy stuff.

I think the Apple mobile ecosystem was just a special case. Due to the
popularity and lack of competition it enjoyed in the yearly years
(really a byproduct of the fact they basically created the computing
platform) it became possible for Apple to impose those absurd rules to
quite a degree of success. No doubt with the help of the genius
invention of curated app stores.

But history is bound to repeat itself. Just like with the desktop
market when Apple enjoyed sudden growth in the 80s and the early 90s,
it was its all-around closed architecture that enventually removed it
from mainstream computing. And we are already witnessing the same
happening to its mobile sector.

Perhaps just not with the dramatic results of its desktop counterpart,
due to the fact Apple introduced mobile computing to an already
established and massified computing marketplace and was so able to
create a larger share. But an all-around closed architecture is still
one of the things that is putting Apple behind.

I think that open systems eventually dominate over closed ones as soon
as they become available. The mobile market, still in its infancy,
allows for some walled gardens. But they will just wither and die.