Newbie question about text encoding

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 06:33:58 EST 2015

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 10:09 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> Stop using MySQL, which is a joke of a database[1], and use Postgres which
> does not have this problem.

I agree with the recommendation, though to be fair to MySQL, it is now
possible to store full Unicode. Though personally, I think the whole
"UTF8MB3 vs UTF8MB4" split is an embarrassment and should be abolished
*immediately* - not "we may change the meaning of UTF8 to be an alias
for UTF8MB4 in the future", just completely abolish the distinction
right now. (And deprecate the longer words.) There should be no reason
to build any kind of "UTF-8 but limited to three bytes" encoding for
anything. Ever.

But at least you can, if you configure things correctly, store any
Unicode character in your TEXT field.

ChrisA