io.open vs. codecs.open

Albert-Jan Roskam fomcl at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 6 08:48:56 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----

Python 2.7 and 3.4.

> In Python 3, io.open is used as the built-in open. I believe this is
> guaranteed, and not just an implementation detail.
>
> The signatures and capabilities are quite different:
>
> codecs.open:
>
> open(filename, mode='rb', encoding=None, errors='strict',
> buffering=1)
>
> io.open:
>
> open(file, mode='r', buffering=-1, encoding=None,

>          errors=None, newline=None, closefd=True, opener=None)

Thanks. I didn't realize that closefd was also available in Python 2. I had only seen it in Python 3 open()

> io.open does *not* always produce Unicode strings. If you pass 'rb' as
> the
> mode, the file is opened in binary mode, not text mode, and the read()
> method will return bytes.

So, in recent versions of Python 2 (Python 2.7.x, 2.6) I can basically ditch codecs.open() and the standard open()?
Given that standard open() has no encoding parameter, it is only really safe for use with binary data (binary mode).