(Still OT) Nationalism, language and monoculture [was Re: Python Worst Practices]

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 03:00:28 EST 2015

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 10:49:54 AM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Rustom Mody:
>
> > You keep talking of accent.
> > At first I thought you were using the word figuratively or else joking.
> > Im now beginning to wonder if you mean it literally.
> > If so have you patented a new AOIP protocol?
> > If not do you give tuitions¹ in ESP/telepathy/Voodoo? I'll be happy to
> > pay<wink>
>
> Where I work, people do use voice still occasionally to communicate.

I really dont understand what we are communicating (or not) about...

Can you hear my accent? I certainly cant hear yours
If you are talking of accent (aural/physical just to be clear) of your co-workers
how is that more on-topic or relevant to this list than the weather in Finland.
[Yeah its been freakish weather out here for the last 10 days -- global warming?
And is global warming on topic for this list?]
Just to be clear -- I am going to be one of the tail-enders complaining about
on/off-topicness.  But someone or other will complain I guess.

If on the other hand you are being slightly metaphorical and using 'accent'
to talk of (say) Mark's britishisms¹ then please disambiguate for better communication.

But more to the point its still not clear (to me) whether you are objecting to
- to Mark
- to British accent
- to British spellings in software
- to anyone/anywhere international, using non-international format

¹Personally I find Mark's britishisms sometimes funny eg I found this
 https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/EfloMHB3DjQ/ZdY3Vn_6rpsJ hilarious even though I could not decipher more than 70% of the british accent.
Sometimes though I find it irrelevant/unnecessary/undecipherable.

Personally I am not going to object to him nor am I going to object to anyone
objecting to him.