HELP!! How to ask a girl out with a simple witty Python code??

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 5 17:15:05 EST 2015

Ben Finney wrote:

> sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com writes:
>
>> I should have known better than to make a joke on this mailing list.
>> Someone is bound to get their panties all up in a bunch.
>
> You should have known better than to make gendered slurs. Claiming “it
> was a joke” doesn't alter the sexism of your remarks. Cut that out.

"You're asking a bunch of nerds for dating advice?"

Sohcatoa's lousy joke applies to all sexes equally, whether they are male,
female, intersex, or indeed non-gendered advanced alien intelligences.
(Possibly not *that* advanced if they are hanging around here...)

Sorry to say that the only sexism displayed here is your apparent assumption
that nerds are all [fe]male, or that the people on this list are all
[fe]males. Both men and women can be nerds too, and I know people of both
cis-genders and at least three of trans-genders who are clueless about
dating. Funnily enough, all but one of them are nerds of one type or
another.

Despite the efforts of a lot of neo-Victorian feminists determined to repeat
the sins of the past, "sexism" does not mean "anything even vaguely related
to sexual activity or the potential for sexual activity". Nor is any mild
joke made at the (self-)expense of some random subgroup of people "sexism",
whether than joke is based on a stereotype or not.

--
Steven