Make standalone gui-enabled app for LINUX

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Thu Mar 5 16:27:41 EST 2015

Am 05.03.15 um 18:31 schrieb Mehdi:
> Hi
> I know there are tools like cx_freeze or nuitka for making a linux standalone python app. but i couldn't find a good tutorial about how to making a portable gui-enabled python3 app in linux. by gui-enabled i mean application which use any gui libs like pygobject, qt or wx.
> I know most of linux distros have python installed(usually version 2) and a package manager to install packages with their dependencies(rpm or deb). but i'm thinking of really portable app with all dependencies included to run easily almost on every linux OSs with no trouble even for new or less experienced linux users.
> So again how can i make a portable python3 + gui(pygobject, qt, wx) for linux?
> I found some helpful guide for windows, but what about linux?
>
> Thanks.

Use pyinstaller. It creates a "portable app", i.e. either single file or
directory which can be run on (nearly) any system. However the resulting
files can be awfully big. I use it with a relatively small program that
depends on numpy/matplolib, and that pulls in ~100 MB worth of libraries.

	Christian