(Still OT) Nationalism, language and monoculture [was Re: Python Worst Practices]

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 04:16:23 EST 2015

On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 07:19:42 +0200, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net>
wrote:

>Where I work, people do use voice still occasionally to communicate.

Communications skills... the bane of any software developer.
Pronunciation is just another obstacle to cross on top of the natural
barrier that is transmitting complex computer science ideas through
natural language. An ascii file with some code does a much better job
at that.

Most bugs start in a our mouths, no matter how many times we brush our
teeth.

In any case, communication is a two-way process. If you can't
understand British accent, you should make an effort to do so. It will
enrich your communication skills and that is an important skill to
have. Might even land you a better job.

If instead you prefer to demand british people to speak in your
accent, because you are in your country and people should speak with
your accent and all that bullshit, and you can't understand them and
they should make an effort, waa-waa, that is fine. I'm sure you are
otherwise a a friendly and communicative character.