Logging custom level not print module properly??

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Mar 3 10:01:28 EST 2015

Didymus wrote:

> [...]
> logging. I set this up as a class in a module "log.py" below. The problem
> I'm seeing is that no matter the file the the logging is happening in it
> always prints the module as "log", I've rcreated the testcase below:
>
> % python run.py
> [PWARNING log 22] Warning Message.
> [INFO run 8] Message.
>
> The log.py:
>
> """ Logging Module """
> import common
> import logging
>
> # Custom
> PWARNING_NUM = 34
>
> # Performance Warning...
> logging.addLevelName(PWARNING_NUM, "PWARNING")
>
> def pwarning(self, message, *args, **kws):
>     """ Performance Warning Message Level """
>     # Yes, logger takes its '*args' as 'args'.
>     self.log(PWARNING_NUM, message, *args, **kws)
>
> logging.Logger.pwarning = pwarning
>
> class SetLogging():
> # Variables.
>     fileHandler = None
>     consoleHandler = None
>
>     def __init__(self):
>         """ Set Verbosity Level, set which ever is True..."""
>         common.verbosity = 'INFO'
>         self.setLogHandlers()
>
>     def setverbosity(self, verbosity_level):
>         """ Set what the logging level should be """
>         level = logging.getLevelName(verbosity_level)
>         common.rootLogger.setLevel(level)
>
>     def setLogHandlers(self):
>         """ Set logging file and level. """
>         logFormatter =  logging.Formatter("[%(levelname)s %(module)s
>         %(lineno)d] %(message)s") common.rootLogger = logging.getLogger()
> # Add a File to log too...
>         fileHandler = logging.FileHandler(common.LOG_FILENAME)
>         fileHandler.setFormatter(logFormatter)
>         common.rootLogger.addHandler(fileHandler)
> # Put the message on the Console as well..
>         consoleHandler = logging.StreamHandler()
>         consoleHandler.setFormatter(logFormatter)
>         common.rootLogger.addHandler(consoleHandler)
>         self.setverbosity(common.verbosity)
>
> # Main
> if __name__ == '__main__':
>     log = SetLogging()
>     log.setLogHandlers()
>     log.setverbosity('PMESSAGE')
>

> run.py:
> import common
> import log
> #
> common.LOG_FILENAME = '/tmp/runtest.log'         # Set the File the log
> will write too based on the name and time stamp.
> log = log.SetLogging()
>         # Set logging level and handlers.
>
> common.rootLogger.pwarning('Warning Message.')
> common.rootLogger.info('Message.')
>

> common.py:
> # Logging Verbosity and File.
> #
> rootLogger = None
>     # Logger Handle, Undefined at the moment.
> LOG_FILENAME = '/tmp/python.log'
>     # Log File full pathname.
>

> Not sure why the "def pwarning" isnt; picking up the module that the call
> is happening in correctly, but the standard INFO is. Thanks for any help

The findCaller() method determines that your pwarning() is not part of the
logging machinery and thus presents the file containing the pwarning()
function as the origin of the logging event.

I see no easy and clean way to inform findCaller() to go up one more level
(the unittest package checks for a global flag for that purpose), but that
may be because I didn't look hard enough.

If your usecase for custom levels is compelling I suggest that you
override/replace findCaller() rather than go for the following hack...

exec compile('''
# Custom
PWARNING_NUM = 34

# Performance Warning...
addLevelName(PWARNING_NUM, "PWARNING")

def pwarning(self, message, *args, **kws):
    """ Performance Warning Message Level """
    # Yes, logger takes its '*args' as 'args'.
    self.log(PWARNING_NUM, message, *args, **kws)

Logger.pwarning = pwarning
''', logging.__file__.rstrip("co"), "exec") in vars(logging)

...which pretends that pwarning() is part of the logging/__init__.py module.