(Still OT) Nationalism, language and monoculture [was Re: Python Worst Practices]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 02:14:06 EST 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>
>> Aye, but that's only an issue if you use more than one. You're most
>> welcome to use "colour" in a project, just be consistent.
>
> Or "Farbe" or "couleur" or "väri" or...
>
> I *have* seen code like that.

And I've seen a number of proposals to build Python with its
*keywords* localized. While there is a reasonable limit to this (for
instance, I wouldn't expect the disassembly of CPython byte-code to
have "STORE_FAST" translated into another language), there's nothing
wrong with programmers being able to write their code in their
languages.

ChrisA