(Still OT) Nationalism, language and monoculture [was Re: Python Worst Practices]

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 23:32:15 EST 2015

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 19:51:31 -0800 (PST), Rustom Mody
<rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

>I dont know what you are saying Mario or even whom you are addressing

I was replying directly to Marko. I don't think it is possible to
establish a standard dialect for variable names in English or any
other language. It doesn't even make sense as long as the code clearly
communicates its intent. Any attempts at standardizing written
language are just bound to failure due to natural cultural
resistances, but also the way the spoken and written language evolve
isn't going ever to agree with some official authority.

As for your Thomas Merton quote, it didn't resonate with me. First I
find it hilarious that a 20th century catholic monk speaks of people
of faith as existing at the margin of society and accepting risk,
particularly in the deeply conservative American society. That's a
laugh right there.

But the whole comunion thing, the going through God, and the accepting
we are all one, is really not my flavor of morning tea. I'm a bit more
down to earth and less heavenly oriented. We are all really different
individuals, deeply separated by our own minds and sharing only a
similar biology. That we can communicate at all, is rather satisfying.