rst and pypandoc

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Mar 2 18:18:05 EST 2015

> And of course, that means you have to escape the backslash if you want
> to have one in the text. But all of this is just for putting *string
> literals* into your source code. If it's not Python source code, these
> rules don't apply. You can read a line of text from the user and it'll
> be unchanged

To put it another way: The source code is not the value itself. The
string value is created *from* the characters in the source code, and
the sequence of characters in the string value may be different.

When the string value comes from somewhere else, it bypasses this
interpretation of source code — because it's not source code!

String literals exist in your Python source code. They are not the same
thing as the string value itself, and the sequence fo characters may be
different.

--
 \     “Try adding “as long as you don't breach the terms of service – |
  `\          according to our sole judgement” to the end of any cloud |