(Still OT) Nationalism, language and monoculture [was Re: Python Worst Practices]

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Mon Mar 2 10:30:42 EST 2015

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>:

> Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> Similarly, I've heard some Finnish representatives in the Nordic
>> Council complain how the Danish insist on speaking Danish. The
>> official language there is Swedish.
>
> I'm reminded of the British Prime Minister David Lloyd George, who
> apparently made a habit of answering difficult or embarrassing
> questions in parliament in his native Welsh.

What are the Danish embarrassed about? C++? C#? Delphi? ALGOL 60? BNF?

> But for Britons to use American English is, in a way, to cease to be
> Britons at all.

Did Hugh Laurie have to turn in his British passport?

--

But don't despair! I just ran into this (<URL:
http://speakmoreclearly.com/>):

    Do you want to speak English fluently and with an American accent?

    -> Sick of being asked to repeat yourself?

    -> Tired of people not understanding you?

    -> Worried about losing your job or no one hiring you?

    -> Trouble being understood on the phone?

    -> Embarrassed or shy in social situations?

    If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above questions, then I have
    great news for you!

    You CAN change your accent and start speaking English like an
    American. In less than 15 minutes a day and from the comfort of your
    own home.

    You just need to know the RIGHT way to practise. Our Ultimate
    American Accent Training Package gives you all the exercises and
    methods you need for improving your English pronunciation.

Marko