Python Worst Practices

alister alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 2 03:59:31 EST 2015

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 20:14:13 -0800, Rustom Mody wrote:

> On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 10:32:00 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> Mark Lawrence :
>>
>> > Are you suggesting that we Brits have a single "home accent"?  If you
>> > are, you need to stand up as your voice is rather muffled.  That by
>> > the way is a British expression that may or may not be used around
>> > the Commonwealth.  Should we unlearn it to fit in with American
>> > English? Two chances, zero or none.
>>
>> What you (or I) speak in our native surroundings is up to you (and me).
>>
>> However, when I exhange software engineering ideas with you, I wish
>> both of us could stick to American English.
>
> When I was in college, there was this course called ‹Accounting and
> Bookkeeping›
> It was a disaster since I always accounted on the wrong side of the
> ledger.
> I guess I only passed because the teacher occasionally also accounted on
> the wrong side of the ledger!!
>
> With due respect Marko, are you accounting on the wrong side of the
> ledger?
>
> If some non-native of English expresses him/herself poorly we still try
> to understand – its even in the code of conduct or somethin
>
> And yet you insist that a Brit (or English or whatever) should change
> his ways¹?
<snip some very good explanation>

or as another analogy why don't you (Marco) try telling a Barber in
Seville that he should be speaking Latin Spanish not that strange
variation he uses?

I suspect the  reaction you get will be far more severe than the one you
are getting from we English (& Brits)

--
system has been recalled