Python Worst Practices

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 23:14:13 EST 2015

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 10:32:00 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Mark Lawrence :
>
> > Are you suggesting that we Brits have a single "home accent"?  If you
> > are, you need to stand up as your voice is rather muffled.  That by the
> > way is a British expression that may or may not be used around the
> > Commonwealth.  Should we unlearn it to fit in with American English? Two
> > chances, zero or none.
>
> What you (or I) speak in our native surroundings is up to you (and me).
>
> However, when I exhange software engineering ideas with you, I wish both
> of us could stick to American English.

When I was in college, there was this course called ‹Accounting and Bookkeeping›
It was a disaster since I always accounted on the wrong side of the ledger.
I guess I only passed because the teacher occasionally also accounted on the
wrong side of the ledger!!

With due respect Marko, are you accounting on the wrong side of the ledger?

If some non-native of English expresses him/herself poorly we still try to
understand – its even in the code of conduct or somethin

And yet you insist that a Brit (or English or whatever) should change his ways¹?

I would say it is wrong side of the ledger because the amount of 'culture' invested
into a Brit is more than into someone who just poorly learned the language yesterday.

In school my most memorable encounters were with Shakespeare, Blake, Wordsworth
[I did not like Keats].
Until he died at 102 my gpa would recite Longfellow's "Lives of great men" almost
as a daily prayer.
If all that gets erased for some tasteless colourless (ok colorless) internationalese, its a bloody shame.

=========
¹Reminds of the modern mania for 'rights'
Yeah some groups – women, races, skin-colors etc etc etc – have been traditionally
have-nots. If the attempt at equalizing is not done in balance instead
of equalization we get a swing in the opposite direction and the haves become
the have-nots.