An injury when I was a sbhoolboy; I was bitten by a bat. (was: Python Worst Practices)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Mar 1 19:03:16 EST 2015

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:

> In article <clhf9mFn89rU1 at mid.individual.net>,
>  Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > But in documentation, in contexts where it's not critical, I'm more
> > likely to use the spelling I'm most familiar with, which is
> > "colour". I can't imagine any English speaker, native or otherwise,
> > being unable to cope with that.
>
> What abut people who can't pronounce the letter "B"?

You mean the letter “C”? Yes, I thought so.

Well why not pronounce the letter “C” as though it were the letter “K”?

(See <URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz2LaJOVAiA> if you have no
idea what this is all about.)

Alternatively, I could ask you to pronounce “busy” as though it was
spelled with an “i”; or pronounce “friend” as though it *doesn't* have
an “i”. But that would be asking for sense in English orthography
<URL:https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/02/how-the-english-language-is-holding-kids-back/385291/>.

--
 \          “Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a |
  `\                                          feature.” —Rich Kulawiec |