Python Worst Practices

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Sun Mar 1 17:14:05 EST 2015

On 01/03/2015 16:16, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>:
>
>> Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>>> Learn it like everybody else has to.
>>
>> Stockholm Syndrome :-)
>>
>> "I learned English, and so everyone else should too."
>
> No, the point is that if everybody else has taken the trouble of
> learning American English, it shouldn't be too much to ask for the
> British to make an effort as well.

Actually it is the Brits who are bilingual; we can watch British /or/
American TV shows and movies without needing subtitles. It's not always
the case the other way around.

You have a point that American-English spellings have some domination
internationally simply by sheer numbers (in the same way that C-style
syntax has unfortunately permeated a great number of languages). But I
think there are still a few places which have had a British influence
which might still spell colour as "colour" (such as India with a
population a mere 4 times as large as the USA).

But programming in the UK I'm going to spell variables that include the
word "colour" with a "u". I'm sure that any Americans will be able to
guess what it means, if they were ever to see my source codes. (BTW
"color" gets underlined in red by my spell-checker, another reason to
avoid it.)

While with any external interfaces that use "color", I often create an
alias that uses "colour" (saves time later by not constantly misspelling
it).

--
Bartc