Python Worst Practices

alister alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 1 15:16:26 EST 2015

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 18:16:05 +0200, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>:
>
>> Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>>> Learn it like everybody else has to.
>>
>> Stockholm Syndrome :-)
>>
>> "I learned English, and so everyone else should too."
>
> No, the point is that if everybody else has taken the trouble of
> learning American English, it shouldn't be too much to ask for the
> British to make an effort as well.

The language is called English, the clue is in the name. interestingly
most 'Brits' can switch between American English & English without too
much trouble (I still have a problem with Chips)

> You can watch TV programmes at home, but in the office, you should be
> writing Python programs.
>
> (Spelling deviations are actually minor nuisances. A bigger problem is
> when a Brit thinks they can use their home accent in international
> contexts.)
The bigger problem is that the USian does not know there even is an
international context.
I know that us British/English are poor at learning other languages but
we do at least acknowledge that we should do better.

Last time I was is the USA I had a local ask me which state London was
in! (heck I know they only bother with their own history but I though we
played quite an important role in that)

--
You know it's going to be a long day when you get up, shave and shower,
start to get dressed and your shoes are still warm.