Pure Python Data Mangling or Encrypting

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 16:49:04 EDT 2015

On 2015-06-29, Randall Smith <randall at tnr.cc> wrote:
> Same reason newer filesystems like BTRFS use checkusms (BTRFS uses
> CRC32).  The storage machine runs periodic file integrity checks.  It
> has no control over the underlying filesystem.

True, but presumably neither does it have anything it can do to
rectify the situation if it finds a problem, and the client will
have to keep its own secure hash of its file anyway. (Unless I suppose
the server actually can request a new copy from the client or another
server if it finds a corrupt file?)