Readline -- cannot bind to both Ctrl-tab and tab at the same time?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 21:36:25 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 4:55 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> Try Ctrl-TAB again, and you'll get "raise" instead of "import".
>
> Can anyone else replicate this issue?
>
> Is this a Python issue, a problem with the terminal I am using, or readline
> in general?

Confirmed with Python 3.6 on Debian Jessie. Delving into Laura's
suggestion that it's a readline problem, I came across this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12044574/getting-complete-and-menu-complete-to-work-together

Testing with "showkey -a" suggests that tab and ctrl-tab indeed send
the same bytes. I wonder if there's a way to change terminal type or
fiddle with terminfo to change this? GUI programs obviously don't have
this conflation.

ChrisA