Pure Python Data Mangling or Encrypting

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jun 27 09:26:01 EDT 2015

On Saturday 27 June 2015 08:27:38 Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:16:47 +1000, Chris Angelico writes:
> >Okay, Johannes, NOW you're proving that you don't have a clue what
> >you're talking about. D-K effect doesn't go away...
> >
> >ChrisA
>
> You need to read the paper again.  That was the whole point -- when
> Kruger and Dunning went and taught the people at the bottom quadrile
> some basic skill in the task being estimated, and taught people at
> the top quadrile how poorly their peers were performing, their ability
> to estimate how they would score relative to their peers improved
> a whole lot.
>
> But, of course, since these were academics studying students, they had
> access to bottom-quadrile performers who actually wanted to learn and
> improve.  In the real world, it is getting the bottom-performers to
> even notice that they need improvement that may be the most difficult
> task.
>
> Laura

The rest of the readers of this list would do well to change "may" above
to "is", and carve the last sentence into something fairly substantial
as it is a basic truth.

Zircon crystal would be ideal, we've found a few grains of it over 4
Billion years old, but granite would do for this generation.  Laura
obviously "gets it".

Sadly, it is entirely too true in the real world. Too often the bottom
person who made a good sales pitch, once hired, is either incapable of
learning, or loses interest after he has been hired. I've seen both. The
basic education they received is to blame for much of that effect. So
they wind up getting shuffled around to various sub-jobs until you find
something they can do efficiently.  Many times they weren't ever aware
of why they were being moved.  Telling them depresses them, so its
usually best to just let it work itself out.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)