Pure Python Data Mangling or Encrypting

Randall Smith randall at tnr.cc
Fri Jun 26 20:23:26 EDT 2015

On 06/26/2015 04:07 PM, Johannes Bauer wrote:
> You consistently were vague about wheter you want to
> have encryption, authentication or obfuscation of data.

I knew (possibly extra) encryption wasn't necessary at this stage, but I
also knew that encryption would provide good obfuscation.  Problem is, I
didn't want an extra C library to install. See the original post.

"... I'd like to protect the recipient against exposure to nefarious
data by mangling or encrypting the data before it is written to disk. My
original idea was for the recipient to encrypt using AES.  But I want to
keep this software pure Python "batteries included" and not require
installation of other platform-dependent software ... I don't know that
I really need encryption here, but some type of fast mangling algorithm
where a bad actor sending a payload can't guess the output ahead of time."

-Randall