windows and file names > 256 bytes

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 09:02:00 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> 2. Is this a bug in Python? I would prefer if Python dealt with the gory
>> details of Windows' silly behavior.
>

> I don't see why Python should work around any particular limitation of any
> given OS.

Check out the multiprocessing module, and then tell me whether it's
better that Python paper over the OS differences or if you'd rather do
all that yourself. The biggest difference left between Windows and
POSIX is that on Windows, your main module has to be importable (which
doesn't hurt on POSIX). Python deals with all the mess of "can we
fork, or do we have to do it differently?".

ChrisA