Pure Python Data Mangling or Encrypting

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Jun 24 17:24:38 EDT 2015

On 2015-06-24, Randall Smith <randall at tnr.cc> wrote:
> On 06/24/2015 01:29 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> They never look at the data and wouldn't care to unmangle it.
>>
>> I obviously don't "get it". If the recipient is never going look at
>> the data or unmangle it, why not convert every received file to a
>> single null byte?  That way you save on disk space as well --
>> especially if you just create links for all files after the initial
>> one.  ;)
>
> These are machines storing chunks of other people's data.  The data
> owner chunks a file, compresses and encrypts it, then sends it to
> several storage servers.  The storage server might be a Raspberry PI
> with a USB disk or a Windows XP machine - I can't know which.

OK.  But if the recipient (the server) mangles the data and then never
unmangles or reads the data, there doesn't seem to be any point in
storing it.  I must be misunderstanding your statement that the data
is never read/unmangled.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! A can of ASPARAGUS,
                                  at               73 pigeons, some LIVE ammo,