Pure Python Data Mangling or Encrypting

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Jun 24 14:29:58 EDT 2015

On 2015-06-24, Randall Smith <randall at tnr.cc> wrote:

>> I don't understand how mangling the data is supposed to protect the
>> recipient. Don't they have the ability unmangle the data, and thus
>> expose themselves to whatever nasties are in the files?
>
> They never look at the data and wouldn't care to unmangle it.

I obviously don't "get it". If the recipient is never going look at
the data or unmangle it, why not convert every received file to a
single null byte?  That way you save on disk space as well --
especially if you just create links for all files after the initial
one.  ;)

[I supposed next you're going to tell me that Windows filesystems
don't support links.]

> The purpose is primarily to prevent automated software (file
> indexers, virus scanners) from doing bad things to the data.

Life under windows must be more tiresome than I imagined (or could
imagine) if you have to jump through such hoops to keep "automated
software" from doing bad things to your data files.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! My mind is making
                                  at               ashtrays in Dayton ...