Pure Python Data Mangling or Encrypting

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Jun 24 12:16:37 EDT 2015

On 2015-06-24, Emile van Sebille <emile at fenx.com> wrote:
> On 6/24/2015 7:02 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> And how does writing unmangled data to disk expose anybody to
>> anything?  I've never heard of an exploit where writing an evilly
>> crafted bit-pattern to disk causes a any sort of problem.
>
> Unless that code is executed at boot.

Don't write it somewhere where that might happen.  [Of course you
don't let a remote user determine where the untrusted data gets
written -- that would be completely beyond the pale.] Or does Windows
pick files at random from the disk and execute them?

> Mangling would at least prevent it from executing.

If you don't want a file to be executed, then don't make it
executable.  Or doesn't Windows have any way to control whether a file
is executable or not?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! You were s'posed
                                  at               to laugh!