Pure Python Data Mangling or Encrypting

Randall Smith randall at tnr.cc
Tue Jun 23 15:02:45 EDT 2015

Chunks of data (about 2MB) are to be stored on machines using a
peer-to-peer protocol.  The recipient of these chunks can't assume that
the payload is benign.  While the data senders are supposed to encrypt
data, that's not guaranteed, and I'd like to protect the recipient
against exposure to nefarious data by mangling or encrypting the data
before it is written to disk.

My original idea was for the recipient to encrypt using AES.  But I want
to keep this software pure Python "batteries included" and not require
installation of other platform-dependent software.  Pure Python AES and
even DES are just way too slow.  I don't know that I really need
encryption here, but some type of fast mangling algorithm where a bad
actor sending a payload can't guess the output ahead of time.

Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks.

-Randall