Simplest/Idiomatic way to count files in a directory (using pathlib)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 23 12:17:34 EDT 2015

On 6/22/2015 9:32 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:
> Travis Griggs <travisgriggs at gmail.com> writes:
>> The following seems to obtuse/clever for its own good:
>>      return sum(1 for _ in self.path.iterdir())

I disagree.  For one who understands counting and Python, this is a
direct way to define the count of a finite iterable.  A functionalist
would prefer it to the obvious 3-line version with a for statement.

> I've generally done something like that.  I suppose it could be added to
> itertools.

itertools callables all produce iterators.  The above only consumes an
iterable.

--
Terry Jan Reedy