Do I need license to release the Python version of old BASIC games?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 21 18:35:03 EDT 2015

On 21/06/2015 22:52, C.D. Reimer wrote:

> On 6/21/2015 1:58 PM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> Converting BASIC games to Python results in derived works, which are
>> under the original copyright of the BASIC games.
>>
>>  From the given link:
>>
>>     BASIC Computer Games is copyright © 1978 by David H. Ahl, and is
>>     posted onwww.atariarchives.org  with permission. Do not redistribute,
>>     mirror, or copy this online book.
>>
>> So a license from David H. Ahl is required before publishing Python
>> translations.
>
> The copyright applies to the book ("Do not redistribute, mirror, or copy
> this *online book*.") and any derivative work is based on the book.
> Using the video output from the BASIC games in the book could fall
> underneath the fair use provision, which allows me to use a small
> portion of the book without infringing on the copyright. I'm not
> publishing a book. I just want to put my code on a website as an
> educational example of what I did to convert a spaghetti language into a
> modern scripting language.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris R.

Regarding fair use I suppose it depends on which country you're (plural)
in.  From
http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p22_derivative_works.en.htm

<quote>
Can I claim that my copy is fair use/fair dealing, or de minimis?
Unless your activities are explicitly allowed under law, there is no
solid legal footing for such a claim.
</quote>

Having said that I agree with Michael Torrie's earlier comments so I
suggest you get on with it, noting at the same time that my legal skills
are nowhere near as good as my computing skills, which is really saying
something :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence