Do I need license to release the Python version of old BASIC games?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Jun 21 18:13:08 EDT 2015

Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com>:

> On 06/21/2015 02:58 PM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> Converting BASIC games to Python results in derived works, which are
>> under the original copyright of the BASIC games.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I disagree. Especially where the resulting python program is not a
> transliteration (which it certainly won't be) of the original BASIC
> programs. As well, these programs implement well-known algorithms and
> games. There are only so many ways to implement certain algorithms,
> and each implementation is going to be closely similar. The games and
> algorithms in his BASIC programs are by no means original or not
> well-known and well-discussed.

The court will have to decide if the Python version is a
reimplementation or a more or less direct translation of the original.

> Also the quoted copyright notice is for the entire work, which is to say
> the book.  Chris is in no way reproducing the guy's text in whole or in
> part--I note that the notice says nothing about fair use.

Fair use is not granted.

   In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits
   limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from
   the rights holders.

Again, whether a fair use defense applies in this case is for the courts
to decide. My guess is it wouldn't apply here.

Marko