Keypress Input

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 12:30:37 EDT 2015

On 06/20/2015 09:02 AM, John McKenzie wrote:

>  Guys, thanks for the various code examples for GPIO and the warning
> about debouncing issues. I am still considering going the route of more
> complex wiring and doing it a more traditional GPIO way.

You can wire up the button without a little breadboard or circuit board
using this general diagram:

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/robot/buttons_and_switches/

Just solder the resistors to the wires themselves, and keep them close
to the pi to keep them clean.  Then you you just have to route one wire
per switch, with one common wire hitting the other side of each switch.
 Probably you will want to use the pull-up version where the switch
pulls the signal down to ground.  You may want to use a header to plug
into the rpi.  But besides that should just be a matter of routing wires.

But on the original track, you might want to ask on the kade forums if
there's any way to interact with kade and get events besides HID
emulation.  For example, maybe you could communicate with it over a
virtual serial port.  Or some other protocol so you don't have to worry
about ttys and Linux kernel HID handling for your program, especially in
a headless environment.  Using HID emulation makes sense in a MAME
arcade environment but not for a headless raspberry pi application.